Posted On: Monday - July 25th 2022 8:59AM MST
In Topics:   Political Correctness  Artificial Stupidity  Race/Genetics  Big-Biz Stupidity
I want to follow up on the post from Saturday called I want YOU for the PS Army. That post included an anecdote by an Unz Review commenter about avoiding the modern PC/Woke Struggle Sessions, and in this post I'll put in some personal anecdotes. I don't claim to be the George Patton of the anti-Woke army by any means, as I also try to keep the career going to get along in this world.*
I remember an instance long ago of fighting the corporate BS, well before corporate training sessions were on-screen (for me, at least). This was way before wokeness and CRT and wasn't even about the milder Political Correctness in any form - there really wasn't any of that at all in my work area, which ought to give you a clue how long ago that was. Anyway, it was corporate bureaucratic BS, and I thought of this class (during the paid work day) as a waste of time. (There was also way too much bureaucracy, so this was kind of a last straw.) I remember throwing the nice booklet they gave us off a stairwell is all, and others in another session happened to see it later, and this attention got me a friendly warning from an otherwise sympathetic boss.
Then, about 1/2 as long ago as that, we had our yearly security training on the screen of a computer. I will say that it's not so much the waste of time that bothers me - only 1/2 hour or so a year - but the Feral Gov't imposed stupidity that it is, which I don't like. This particular question asked, to loosely paraphrase, whether I would rat out a known colleague who is in the wrong area or not wearing his ID tag. My answer was "No. I know this guy. He's no threat to us. WTF should I give him a hard time?" Apparently, the "correct" answer was "Yes, you must rat out your friend immediately!"
Keep in mind that these two possible answers are also both very loosely paraphrased here, because this was actually a YES/NO question. It was something like "You see your colleague blah, blah,... Should you call your superior immediately?" I clicked [NO] hoping at least this would register with the system. Nope, this deal was "corrected to 100%". That means EVERYONE GETS A 100. YEA! To do that, the system DIDN'T LET ME click [NO]. I could not move along until I clicked [YES]. I clicked [NO] anyway about 20 times, just in case it would get into the database and trigger someone to figure "hey, people don't like this sort of thing" or "man, this guy is STUPID!"
Back a ways, at the live sessions I did make the standard snide comments - it was at least fun back then** - and wrote a harsh evaluation of some of the most egregious stupidity. Nowadays, I've found a way to almost completely ignore the yearly on-line wokeness as described in the post Corporate liars, learning units, and violence in the workplace in excruciating detail.
OK, I know what I described has all been EXTREMELY MINOR stuff that is not exactly fighting the man. The attitude can be contagious though. Like that Flight Attendant who is said to have first spread AIDS around America, I've been patient zero of such contagion before, well, NO, not at all like that flight attendant though!
I have been blessed to have not been in the cubical-corporate setting for a long time. However, as per Mr. Alarmist's comment (also under the previous post) about giving them shit during "environmental sustainability" sessions, I think I would really enjoy that sort of thing. One can push it to whatever limits he figures apply to to himself. Yes, if you go past them, it's good to have a back-up plan or "Fuck You money". For more on this see FF.U. Money, F.U. Skills, and F.U. Attitude from, coincidentally, 2 years ago today.
My education was in a world before any of this. I would like to say I would have raised holy hell in any classroom in which CRT or anything like it was brought up. However, in my field, I doubt it would be even today.
Finally, what am I doing about it now, besides writing on this blog? Lately, there has been a last straw of sorts for me with some wording that the Big Biz woke-playing big shots feel they must send out memos about. It was not just the HR lady, this time. Unfortunately, giving the complete story, including said banned wording, would reduce my anonymity quite a bit.
I realize that there have been 4 of them, the latest being that last straw. I won't comply:
1) A term in use for over half a century has "man" in it, so it was been changed. In this case, we were not told specifically not to say it, but it's been changed in all the writing. It's only one more syllable, but no, as with "Oriental"***, I'll continue using the old term, thank you very much.
2) This other term in use in the industry for perhaps longer than (1) is something I really thought they'd all miss. Nope, it's another "sexist" term, and they finally caught up with it. Because it is almost always said by us as an acronym (2 syllables vs. 6, but now 7), this doesn't change too much.
3) This one term can be construed as being a crude sexist term, but it's actually a real word that has nothing to do with sex. Were anyone to call me out on using it (about 1/2 the people still do), I would ask him why his mind is in the gutter. Hopefully, that would shut him up. If not, we could get a dictionary. Oops, "dick"tionary does sound sexist too, but then I'll pull MY mind out of the gutter now.
4) This was the last straw. I really, really wish i could give you readers the word! Not agonna do it... A perfectly decent geographical term, used for a good reason, has been nixed from our vocabulary, well, I mean, if you comply. I won't. Now, I go and make an effort to say it.
Hey, I didn't start this Culture War, and I am not the one sending memos around with political themes and "finally, don't talk politics at work" written at the bottom. I think I might relish a CRT session at this point, just to raise a lot of long-overdue hell. I don't think they'll try it. We'll see.
"Don't burn your bridges", they tell you, especially of you are a young man in your career. Yeah, well maybe, but you may want out of some career occasionally. That's not the case right now, but I look back and see at least one time that I should have burned my bridges. Then, I'm a bit of a fire bug to begin with...
Do what you can. It's gonna get a lot harder, as they make it a lot worse.
* I do understand commenter PeterIke's point under that previous post, but my point, not solely, but especially, was about those who don't have career jobs - those who may be thinking of joining the US armed forces. Many have plenty of courage, so why not some courage in this realm?
** The sexual harassment bit would come after the corporate ethics stuff, and the crowd 15 years back would have loads of jokes about both. I remember "No, you guys got the story wrong! That guy was NOT fired for pinching her on the ass. He just never said 'I love you'" or something like that. It was funnier in person, I can tell you. Because the instructor was one of us, he had no problem with this, and fun was had by all. I miss those days!
*** "Oriental" has been well covered here on Peak Stupidity. Your best bet is our post Oriental is the term and we're done talkin' about it.. Caution, nice bikini picture. [THANK YOU!!! - PS Marketing Dept.]